Tuesday, January 11, 2011

SIX Months!!

WOW...Six Months!  Even we can't believe it!!  It is amazing as I look at our little girl today...

and see how much she has grown & changed over the short, six months since she became ours.

She has gone from a scared, quiet, often times angry little girl to a happy, talkative, inquisitive ray of sunshine.  She truly lights up every day of our lives!! 

I wish that I had a gift of words and a way to express what the last six months have been like.  As I reflect on our weeks in China, I now see them with new eyes.  Those were some of the happiest and hardest times in my life.  The happiest I'm sure are obvious...after 4+ years of waiting, we were finally holding Eva, experiencing her culture and beautiful country. What I didn't realize at the time was how tired I was before I ever even got to China.  The five months from the day of referral to travel were emotionally draining, then add jet-lag, living out of suitcases and a child who I wasn't sure that I could ever make happy, often left me feeling as fragile on the inside as Eva looked on the outside.  

But God has been so faithful to us!  There is surely something to be said for the comforts of home and being surrounded by the love of family and friends.  It refreshes the soul and almost immediately I began to feel stronger and more relaxed.  Maybe Eva sensed that or she just somehow realized that she too was home, because even her demeanor quickly began to change.  We were no longer seeing the daily fits of frustration & confusion we experienced in China but instead the smiles & giggles started coming more freely and unsolicited each day.  A whole new world, filled with love, had opened up for her to explore and grow!

Over the past six months each day has grown more "routine" and Eva has been nothing short of a perfect fit for our family.  She's now more comfortable not only accepting, but returning, a kiss and a hug.  Hearing lots of "hold you" during the day from her gives me the chance to continue to make her feel safe and hopefully to know that I will always be here to take care of her.  Her brothers adore her and she them.  Anytime she sees a school bus during the day, she starts hollering "bus" and then calls for her brothers by name.  She's so excited when they get home in the afternoon!  Plus that means "DaDa" is not far behind!!

She does still have trouble getting to sleep both at nap and bedtime, but I love this extra time that we share together.  Rocking her at night and seeing her sleeping peacefully in my arms convinces me beyond any shadow of doubt that she is truly where she belongs...HOME!!


We are truly....Berry Blessed!!

5 comments:

  1. Happy 6 months! I totally agree the time is China was both the happiest and the hardest of times. Glad you guys are settling in. Loev the family photos with the black and bright pink dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have a wonderful way with words! That was a perfect description of China and the last six months! I totally agree with it all.
    Happy, Happy 6 Months to the Berryhill's....all 5 of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Kelly, you do have the gift of making your words come alive to those of us reading them! I am thrilled beyond words to see how your whole family has blossomed w/ the addition of Eva to your family. Congratulations on the first six months w/ your newest beloved child :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the update! I agree with the others - you have a wonderful way with words and describing events/emotions. I love your family pics! They are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love her smile and all the family photos. Quinn squealed with delight when she saw Eva's photo. Wonderful if she recognized her or just thought - wow what a pretty little girl.

    ReplyDelete