Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Day of Firsts!

Before Mommy starts blogging...I have to send out a big "Hello" to Mrs. Joyce!!
Mommy said you made my dress for me and I just love it! It fits me perfectly!! Thank You!!
.
Now, onto Mommy's blog....
.
Eva slept through the night; although I didn't, I kept waking to see if she was still breathing! The boys were actually up before her and kept waiting for her to get up. We had no idea what to expect when she awoke and were all very excited when she got up just as happy as could be!
We met with Fred after breakfast at 8:40am to go back to the Civil Affairs office. Our 24 hour "return" period was over and we were asked by the Notary if the baby was "performing" well and whether we wanted to adopt her? Well, uhh. let us think about it....YES!! I was nervous when we got there because Eva got so excited to see the orphanage official and social worker who had delivered here yesterday. I was afraid she wouldn't want to come back with us but when I took her so that we could complete the paperwork, including our thumbprints in red ink (is that like signing your name in blood here?), Eva didn't want to go back with the orphanage ladies at all. Instead, like she somehow knew she was officially ours, she starts waving & saying "bye-bye" and blowing kisses to them! We didn't even know that she could do this and it was actually the first time we heard her speak! Almost immediately upon leaving the office, Eva became a new child to us. Laughing, smiling (her eyes close completely when she does this, too cute!) and babbling constantly. We were all so excited; we think maybe she might like us?!!
We were dropped off at our hotel and Eva joined the boys in her first card game. Guess she won because she sure was happy about something!We had learned on Sunday that there was a large shopping area downtown with malls and restaurants. So since the rain has stopped we decided to get a taxi and head over there. Our first stop was Wal-Mart (I know who comes all the way to China to go to Wal-mart?)! Eva loved shopping at Wally World. Quite a bit different than ours, but still comforting and familiar so far away from home. We bought her a stroller to use here and in Guangzhou. She picked out a tamborine for herself; that girl loves a good beat!
This isn't the Pet section! It's whats for dinner!!The next first for Eva was lunch at McDonald's! She had her first Happy Meal of chicken nuggets and corn. Although I'm not usually a fan of Mickey D's, I have to say that this was one of the best burgers I've had in awhile!!You know how I've posted that we get quite the stares here, well add to that a Chinese baby and we're getting lots of double takes! We were stopped several times with people guessturing who Eva was; fortunately I had Fred write in Chinese on a piece of paper "adopted daughter" so that I could show that to them when asked (didn't want anyone to think we stole her or something!). I've always wondered how the Chinese feel about these children being adopted? Three ladies that stopped us were full of smiles and thumbs up after they read the note. Others I'm still not sure what they were thinking after we walked away?!
After strolling through the shops, we decide to walk back to the hotel. The best way I have of describing a walk in China is like a game "Frogger" and you are the frog! Not only do you have to watch for cars, but you also run the risk of getting run down by mopeds and bicycles! Nothing like having the bell of a bike rung at you to get out of the way!! The traffic laws here are only "suggestions" as Dawn puts it. It's like little chihuahuas taking on Great Danes! The walk was only about 2 miles and was such a fun way to feel apart of the city. Eva slept all the way in her stroller.
The rest of the evening was spent in the hotel room where we gave Eva her first bath! I've heard how many of the children are terrified at bathtime so that is what I expected. She was as stiff as a board when I first put her in but before long she took to it and played with her stacking cups; pouring water from one cup to another. Now she has that great baby smell that I have missed so much. I think it even smells better on a girl!!
As you can tell, Eva has done so well today! Her little personality is really starting to come out. She did have one meltdown that involved alot of screaming and throwing herself back. It only lasted about 15 minutes according to Dawn & David. I thought it was more like an hour or something! It just breaks your heart to see; you know that this is just their way of dealing with the frustration and not understanding of what is going on. One can only guess what goes on in their minds?.. When she wouldn't let me hold her during it, I just set her on the bed and sat with her trying to reassure her softly. Then when she did let me hold her she grabbed on tight and didn't want to let go.
.
By the end of the day today, we were convinced that she is saying "Eva". She points to herself when we say her name. She also says "Mama" and "DaDa" very clearly and with apparent understanding of who she is referring to. It has truly been amazing and an answer to prayer!
.
The boys are doing great by the way. They each bought a new Lego set at Wal-mart so all is right in their world.
.
Tomorrow I think we are going to attempt some tours here with our guide. So, until then, thanks again for following along. I have been receiving all your emails, etc. Sorry that I haven't been able to reply to all of them but please know I do love receiving them!
"I will praise you, O Lord with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonders." Psalm 9:1

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations! One more milestone reached. Love the pictures - she looks very happy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing, miraculous time for all of you! Thank you sooo much for allowing the rest of us to share at least a little bit of your excitement this way! Continuing to pray for y'all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I'm crying after reading this post - tears of joy for you all! And, I love the pic of Eva laughing - it's precious!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved reading about your day. Eva looks and sounds like she is adjusting so well. The one where she is laughing is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad Eva is doing so well and that you all are enjoying your China visit. All the pics are awesome and show one big happy family on this end! Keep enjoying your time and having fun with that little one. Tell her daddy that the picture of him holding her in his lap and her looking at him with that smile is a Hallmark in waiting!!! Safe travels!
    Love and Blessings,
    Tammy
    www.ourchinagiftfromgod.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete